Travelling with Children outside of Canada

Travelling with Children outside of Canada

Document Requirements

Summer holidays are fast approaching for children and if you are planning for your child to travel with only one parent, a trusted friend or a relative, it is important to be prepared with appropriate documentation to avoid delays at the border. The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) states on their website: Border services officers watch for missing children, and may ask detailed questions about any minors travelling with you.

The recommended approach is to have a parent consent letter whenever you travel. This letter may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or departing a foreign country or upon return to Canada. The consent letter must establish that the child has permission to travel abroad from the parents or legal guardians who are not accompanying them. It is recommended that the consent letter be notarized. In situations where legal issues may arise that apply to you and your child’s situation, the Government of Canada recommends that you consult a lawyer.

Parents who have a custody and/or guardianship agreement or court order with respect to their child, carry certified true copies of these legal documents during travel.
Ensure that you have the notarized consent letter in advance of the planned travel. Although some countries may not request a consent letter, the letter will likely be requested by CBSA upon return to Canada and being prepared with the appropriate documentation can save unnecessary delays and questioning upon your return.

Immi Sikand has over 15 years of experience and is Certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada as a Specialist in Citizenship and Immigration Law. She is the founder and principal of Sikand Immigration Law, a law firm that provides a full range of immigration services. Contact us at 647-875-2114 or

About The Author

Sikand Immigration Law


FREE PARKING Behind office building Drive down Lomond from Aberfoyle. Just before the “dead end” where the TTC Parking Lot begins, turn LEFT and speak with the Parking Attendant. Tell him you’re here for an appointment with Sikand Immigration Law and you will be given FREE parking.


3250 Bloor Street West Suite 600, Toronto ON M8X 2X9


Tel: 647-875-2114